|Game Notes||NHL Stats||Press Clips|
Thursday, January 23
Carolina 5 at Buffalo 3
Goals: Hodgson, Flynn, Ennis
Goalie: Enroth (28 saves/42 shots); 1 ENG
PP: 0/2; PK: 3/3; Shots: Carolina 33 – Buffalo 29
CURRENT INJURIES – (Man Games Lost: 147
Player (injury, first game missed) – total games missed
Cody McCormick (upper body, Dec. 17; injured reserve) – 16 games
Matt D’Agostini (upper body, Jan. 18; injured reserve) – 3 games
TRANSACTIONS IN PAST 7 DAYS
1/21: Activated D Henrik Tallinder from IR; Placed F Matt D’Agostini on IR
1/22: Recalled F Phil Varone from Rochester (AHL); Activated F Kevin Porter from IR; Assigned Porter and D Brayden McNabb to Rochester
1/24: Recalled D Chad Ruhwedel from Rochester (AHL); Assigned D Mark Pysyk to Rochester
Monday, Jan. 27: Buffalo at Pittsburgh, 7:30 p.m.
Tuesday Jan. 28: Washington at Buffalo, 7:30 p.m.
Thursday, Jan. 30: Buffalo at Phoenix, 9 p.m.
Saturday, Feb. 1: Buffalo at Colorado, 3 p.m.
Monday, Feb. 3: Edmonton at Buffalo, 7 p.m.
SABRES at BLUE JACKETS
- This is the third and final meeting between the Sabres and Blue Jackets this season.
- Last meeting: Columbus defeated Buffalo, 4-3 (OT), in Buffalo on Jan. 18
- The Sabres are 3-6-1 in their last 10 games vs. the Blue Jackets; 1-4-1 in six road games.
- This is the 17th game all-time between Buffalo and Columbus; Buffalo has a 5-9-2 series record.
- The Sabres are 1-4-1 on the road against the Blue Jackets all-time.
THIS DAY IN SABRES HISTORY
- The Sabres are 11-6-2 all-time on January 25.
- January 25, 1977: Rick Martin scores two third-period goals – including the game-winner – to lead the Wales Conference All-Star Team to a 4-3 victory, earning MVP honors.
THINGS YOU SHOULD KNOW
- Steve Ott has totaled eight points (3+5) in his last 11 games against the Blue Jackets.
- Linus Omark has six points (2+4) in five career games against the Blue Jackets.
- Ryan Miller earned his first NHL victory against the Blue Jackets in a 5-4 win at home on Nov. 22, 2002.
- Tyler Ennis has eight points (3+5) in his last eight games. Ennis has six points (2+4) in four career games against the Blue Jackets.
- With a point tonight, Christian Ehrhoff would become the 25th active NHL defenseman to reach the 300-point mark.
- Cody Hodgson has tallied points (3+3) in five of six games since returning from an upper-body injury that sidelined him for eight games.
- The players on the Sabres’ top line (Moulson–Ennis–Stafford) have combined for five goals and 14 points in the four games since Stafford’s return to the lineup, including four points (1+3) last time these teams met.
- Tyler Ennis has averaged 20:28 of ice time in his last six games, and has recorded at least a point in each of those games (3+4), marking the longest point streak of his career. Steve Ott is the only current Sabres player who has had a point streak longer than six games (8 games, 1/21/09 at FLA to 2/8/09 vs. NSH, 6+6).
- Drew Stafford has five points (3+2) in his last three games and is looking for his first four-game point streak since April 17 to 23, 2013 (1+4).
- Steve Ott enters tonight’s game on a two-game point streak. Ott has recorded seven points (1+6) in his last eight games.
CHANGING OF THE GUARD
On Jan. 9, the Sabres hired Tim Murray to serve as the seventh general manager in franchise history. Murray, a 20-year veteran of NHL front offices, comes to the Sabres after most recently serving as the assistant general manager for the Ottawa Senators, a post he held for seven years. Part of his duties as assistant general manager included serving as general manager of Ottawa’s American Hockey League affiliate, the 2011 Calder-Cup champion Binghamton Senators.
The Sabres also hired Craig Patrick as a special assistant and advisor to the hockey department. Patrick, whose career as a hockey executive spans more than three decades, comes to the Sabres after having served as a senior advisor in the Columbus Blue Jackets’ front office since December 2011.
PLAYING FOR THEIR COUNTRIES
- The following Sabres will represent their countries at the 2014 Winter Olympics in Sochi, Russia: Ryan Miller (USA), Jhonas Enroth (Sweden), Henrik Tallinder (Sweden), Girgensons (Latvia)
- Interim head coach Ted Nolan will serve as the head coach of Team Latvia.
BUF C Zenon Konopka spent parts of two seasons playing for the Blue Jackets from 2006-2008, appearing in a total of nine games.
CBJ RW Corey Tropp played parts of two seasons with the Sabres in the 2011-12 and 2013-14 seasons. Initially drafted by Buffalo in the third round (89th overall) of the 2007 NHL Entry Draft, Tropp tallied nine points (3+6) over 43 games with the team. He was claimed off waivers by the Blue Jackets on Nov. 28, 2013 after registering one assist in nine games for the Sabres earlier this season.
CBJ HC Todd Richards coached BUF D Christian Ehrhoff on the 2008-09 San Jose Sharks squad.
CBJ C Artem Anisimov, BUF G Jhonas Enroth, BUF D Mike Weber and BUF D Jamie McBain were all drafted in the second round of the 2006 NHL Entry Draft. Enroth was selected 46th overall, Anisimov was chosen 54th, Weber were picked 57th and McBain was the 63rd pick.
CBJ LW RJ Umberger and Weber were both born in Pittsburgh.
CBJ C Brandon Dubinsky and BUF RW Drew Stafford both represented the United States at the 2008 World Hockey Championship.
CBJ LW Nick Foligno was born in Buffalo and is the older brother of BUF LW Marcus Foligno.
Marcus Foligno and CBJ D David Savard were both chosen in the fourth round of the 2009 NHL Entry Draft. Savard went 94th overall, while Foligno was selected 10 picks later, at 104th overall.
CBJ RW Marian Gaborik and BUF LW John Scott were teammates with the Minnesota Wild during the 2008-09 season. The two were reunited as members of the New York Rangers in 2011-12.
CBJ C Ryan Johansen and Marcus Foligno played together for Team Canada at the 2011 World Junior Championship held in Buffalo.
Johansen and BUF D Mark Pysyk were both first round selections in the 2010 NHL Entry Draft. Johansen was chosen fourth overall and Pysyk was taken with the 23rd overall pick.
BUF G Ryan Miller (138th overall) and CBJ C Derek MacKenzie (128th overall) were both chosen in the fifth round of the 1999 NHL Entry Draft.
MacKenzie and BUF C Steve Ott both represented Canada at the 2001 World Junior Championship.
CBJ D Jack Johnson and BUF G Ryan Miller both represented the United States at the 2010 Olympics in Vancouver.
Johnson and McBain both represented the United States at the 2007 World Junior Championship.
Nick Foligno, Johnson and Stafford were teammates for the United States at the 2009 World Hockey Championship.
Stafford and Johnson also played together at Shattuck-St. Mary’s during the 2002-03 season.
CBJ G Sergei Bobrovsky and BUF LW Ville Leino played together as members of the Philadelphia Flyers during the 2010-11 season.
BUF C Cody McCormick and CBJ G Curtis McElhinney were both born in London, Ontario.
BUF LW Matt Moulson played with CBJ LW Blake Comeau for the New York Islanders for three season (2009-2012). CBJ D James Wisniewski and Konopka were also members of the club during the 2010-11 season.
Moulson was also teammates with Johnson for the Los Angeles Kings for parts of two seasons (2007-09).
BUF RW Matt D’Agostini and CBJ D Nikita Nikitin both played for the St. Louis Blues from 2010-2012.
SABRES REAL-TIME STATS LEADERS
Shots: Ennis (115), Moulson (114), Stafford (108)
Hits: Ott (163), Foligno (121), Weber (118)
Blocked Shots: Weber (77), Ehrhoff (71), Myers (64)
SABRES’ RECORD IN 10-GAME SEGMENTS [W-L-OTL (PTS), GF/GA, PP, PK]
1-10: 1-8-1 (3), 13/28, 3/35, 27/32
11-20: 3-7-0 (6), 23/35, 5/24, 29/37
21-30: 2-7-1 (5), 15/28, 4/26, 20/28
31-40: 5-3-2 (12), 20/22, 3/36, 27/29
41-50: 2-4-3 (7), 21/29, 7/35, 24/28
OVERTIME RESULTS (2-3; 96-96 all-time)
October 10 vs. Tampa Bay: L, 3-2 (GWG-Killorn, 1:50)
November 29 vs. Toronto: W, 3-2 (GWG-Ehrhoff, 0:38)
November 30 at New Jersey: L, 1-0 (GWG-Bernier, 4:19)
December 14 vs. Calgary: L, 2-1 (GWG-Stajan, 0:42)
December 23 vs. Phoenix: W, 2-1 (GWG-Pysyk, 3:47)
SHOOTOUT RESULTS (6-4; 56-45 all-time)
October 17 at NY Islanders: W, 4-3 (GDG-Ennis)
November 5 at San Jose: W, 5-4 (GDG-Hodgson)
November 12 vs. Los Angeles: W, 3-2 (GDG-Moulson)
December 10 vs. Ottawa: W, 2-1 (GDG-Girgensons)
December 27 at Toronto: L, 4-3 (GDG-Lupul)
December 29 vs. Washington: W, 2-1 (GDG-Ott)
January 9 vs. Florida: L, 2-1 (GDG-Boyes)
January 12 at Washington: W, 2-1 (GDG-Hodgson)
January 15 at Toronto: L, 4-3 (GDG-Lupul)
January 18 vs. Columbus: L, 4-3 (GDG-Johansen)
MILESTONES APPROACHING (Player … Needs … Milestone)
Matt D’Agostini … 5 games … 300 career games played
Tyler Myers … 7 assists … 100 career assists
Christian Ehrhoff …1 point … 300 career points
Steve Ott … 100th career goal … Jan. 21 vs. FLA
Phil Varone … 1st career game … Jan. 23 vs. CAR
Phil Varone … 1st career point (assist) … Jan. 23 vs. CAR