From the NHL: At 5:21 of the third period in the Lightning/Sabres game, the end-zone referee had a Buffalo penalty on delay. The referee did not see Sabres forward Steve Ott touch the puck, which then rebounded to Jamie McBain whose shot entered the net simultaneous with the referee blowing his whistle. The net result was the correct call – no goal, penalty to Buffalo. (http://www.nhl.com/ice/blogpost.htm?id=21207)
- With his assist on Hodgson’s goal, Jamie McBain recorded the first point of his Sabres career.
- McBain’s goal was his first since Jan. 28, 2013 vs. BOS and his first power play goal since March 24, 2012 at DET.
- McBain scored two power play points tonight for the first time in his career. His last multi-point game was on Feb. 13, 2012 at MTL.
- With a goal and an assist tonight, Cody Hodgson now has seven points (2+5) in six career games against the Lightning.
- Thomas Vanek’s two assists gave him 38 points (23+15) in 32 career games against Tampa Bay.
- The Sabres scored two power play goals in a period for the first time since a 4-2 victory on Dec. 26, 2011 vs. WSH (1st period, Pominville and McNabb).