- Tonight’s game is the first ever Atlantic Division matchup between the Sabres and the Lightning.
- Buffalo’s franchise record of 49-23-5 (.669) against Tampa Bay is the team’s best all-time record against any opponent with at least 30 games played in the series. The team’s record against San Jose (18-10-1, .707) is the only better all-time record with any number of games played.
- In the last eight seasons, the Sabres have scored seven or more goals in a single game against the Lightning six times. Buffalo has compiled a record of 22-9-0 (.710) against Tampa Bay in these seasons.
After 1st period: TBL 0 – BUF 0
- After killing off a first-period penalty, the Sabres are 9-for-9 on the penalty kill this season.
- With 10 saves in the first period, Jhonas Enroth has stopped 41 of 44 shots this season, logging a .932 save percentage and a 2.25 goals against average.
- Entering tonight, Enroth had a 2-0-0 career record in two games against the Lightning, with a 1.50 goals against average and a .948 save percentage.
- Rasmus Ristolainen led all skaters on either team with a TOI of 7:48 in the first period.
After 2nd period: TBL 1 – BUF 2
- With a goal and an assist tonight, Cody Hodgson now has seven points (2+5) in six career games against the Lightning.
- Thomas Vanek’s assists give him 38 points (23+15) in 32 career games against Tampa Bay.
- With his assist on Hodgson’s goal, Jamie McBain recorded the first point of his Sabres career.
- Vanek and Hodgson each have three points (1+2) in the last two games.
- McBain’s goal was his first since Jan. 28, 2013 vs. BOS and his first power play goal since March 24, 2012 at DET.
- McBain has two power play points for the first time in his career. His last multi-point game was on Feb. 13, 2012 at MTL.
- The Sabres scored two power play goals in a period for the first time since a 4-2 victory on Dec. 26, 2011 vs. WSH (1st period, Pominville and McNabb).
Final: TBL 3 – BUF 2 (OT)
- Christian Ehrhoff led all skaters on either team with a TOI of 26:43. His average of 25:34 this season is good for 13th in the league as of the end of tonight’s game.
- Thomas Vanek has three points (1+2) in four games to start the season. Vanek has never recorded fewer than seven points in the first 10 games of a season and has 93 total points (46+47) in his 84 career games that fall in those first 10.
- Buffalo falls to 94-94 all-time in games decided in overtime.