Saturday, February 17
Los Angeles 4 at Buffalo 2
Goals: Scandella, Ristolainen
Goalie: Lehner (26 saves/30 shots)/Johnson (6 saves/6 shots)
PP: 0/2; PK: 2/2; Shots: Los Angeles 36 – Buffalo 35
CURRENT INJURIES – (Man Games Lost: 205)
Player (injury, first game missed) – total games missed
Zach Bogosian (lower body, Jan. 11; injured reserve) – 16 games
Jake McCabe (thumb, Feb. 8; injured reserve) – 6 games
Jack Eichel (high-ankle sprain, Feb. 11; injured reserve) – 4 games
Robin Lehner (lower body, Feb. 19) – 0 games
TRANSACTIONS IN PAST 7 DAYS
2/19: Recalled G Linus Ullmark from Rochester (AHL); Placed F Jack Eichel on IR
Thursday, Feb. 22: Buffalo at Detroit, 7:30 p.m.
Saturday, Feb. 24: Buffalo at Washington, 7 p.m.
Sunday, Feb. 25: Boston at Buffalo, 5 p.m.
Wednesday, Feb. 28: Buffalo at Tampa Bay, 7 p.m.
Friday, March 2: Buffalo at Florida, 7:30 p.m.
CAPITALS at SABRES
- This is the second of three meetings between the Sabres and Capitals this season.
- Last meeting: Buffalo defeated Washington 3-1 in Buffalo on Nov. 7, 2017
- Next meeting: Saturday, Feb. 24 in Washington
- The Sabres are 3-5-2 in their last 10 games vs. the Capitals; 5-2-3 at home.
- This is the 157th game all-time between Buffalo and Washington; Buffalo has an 88-48-20 series record.
- The Sabres are 47-22-9 at home against the Capitals all-time.
THIS DATE IN SABRES HISTORY
- The Sabres are 13-9-2 all-time on February 19.
- February 19, 1984: Dave Andreychuk records his 100th NHL point and Bill Hajt scores the 4,000th goal in franchise history in a 5-2 win vs. Hartford.
- February 19, 1991: Christian Ruuttu scores the 6,000th goal in franchise history.
THINGS YOU SHOULD KNOW
- A win today would give the Sabres wins in consecutive meetings with the Capitals for the first time since Dec. 29, 2013 and Jan. 12, 2014.
- The Sabres are also looking for consecutive home wins against Washington for the first time since they won both matchups in Buffalo in the 2011-12 season.
- Kyle Okposo has six points (3+3) in his last six games against the Capitals.
- Jason Pominville has seven points (3+4) in his last seven games against Washington.
- Benoit Pouliot has five points (4+1) in his last five games against the Capitals.
- Evander Kane has six career two-point games against Washington.
- Rasmus Ristolainen had an assist in three of four meetings with the Capitals last season.
- Ryan O’Reilly has recorded 18 points (9+9) in his last 18 games.
- Sam Reinhart has totaled 16 points (6+10) in his last 15 games.
- Rasmus Ristolainen has 18 points (5+13) in his last 22 games dating back to Dec. 29. Ristolainen’s 18 points during that span tied for fourth among NHL defensemen entering play Sunday.
- Kyle Okposo has recorded 16 points (3+13) in his last 17 games, including four multi-point games.
HOT AT HOME
- Kyle Okposo has totaled 14 points (2+12) in his last 15 home games, including three multi-point home games in the month of January.
- Ryan O’Reilly has 14 points (6+8) in 12 home games dating back to the team’s game on Dec. 22 vs. Philadelphia.
- Sam Reinhart has totaled nine points (4+5) in his last eight home games.
- Rasmus Ristolainen has tallied a point in each of his last four home games (1+3).
PLAYING WITH POWER
- The Sabres have tallied at least one power-play goal in 12 of their last 18 games dating back to Jan. 7 at Philadelphia (and went 0-for-0 on Jan. 11 vs. Columbus), converting at a 30.8 percent clip during that span.
- Buffalo’s power-play percentage during this stretch led the league entering play Sunday, as did the team’s 16 power-play goals.
- During that stretch, the Sabres have five players with at least seven power-play points.
- Ryan O’Reilly led the league entering play Sunday with seven power-play goals scored since Jan. 7. Kyle Okposo tied for the league lead with 10 power-play points during that stretch.
- O’Reilly has taken 73.8 percent of the team’s power-play faceoffs during that span, going 52-for-76 (68.4%).
- O’Reilly’s 11 power-play goals this season ranked fourth in the league entering play Sunday.
- The Sabres scored two shorthanded goals last Sunday vs. Colorado, marking the second time this season the team has scored two shorthanded goals in a game (last: Oct. 7 at NY Islanders).
- Buffalo entered play Sunday tied for the league lead with nine shorthanded goals this season, the team’s highest total since the 2007-08 season (9).
- Entering play Sunday, the Sabres were the only team with three players who have scored at least two shorthanded goals this season (Kane – 3, Girgensons – 2, Pouliot – 2).
- Ryan O’Reilly’s four shorthanded assists led the league entering Sunday’s games, and his four shorthanded points tied for second.
- Ryan O’Reilly went 29-for-39 (74.4%) on the draw last Sunday vs. Colorado. The 29 wins set a new career-high mark for O’Reilly, topping his previous high of 26 (Feb. 8 vs. St. Louis). He now holds the nine highest single-game totals in franchise history.
- O’Reilly, who leads the NHL in faceoffs won (885) and faceoff percentage (61.0%) this season, is climbing the single-season record books as well. His 885 wins already rank as the sixth-most wins by a Sabre in a season and are on pace to become the second-most by any NHL player in a season:
- Rod Brind’Amour (CAR), 2005-06 – 1,268
- Ryan O’Reilly *pace* (BUF), 2017-18 – 1,236
- Adam Oates (WSH), 1999-00 – 1,235
- Rod Brind’Amour (CAR), 2001-02 – 1,218
- Joe Sakic (COL), 2000-01 – 1,214
- At his current pace, O’Reilly would become just the third player ever to win at least 1,000 faceoffs in a season while maintaining a faceoff percentage of at least 59 percent, joining Rod Brind-Amour (five times) and Patrice Bergeron (two times).
*The NHL began keeping faceoff stats in the 1997-98 season.
SABRES AMONG LEAGUE-LEADERS (Sabres’ league rankings before 2/18 games)
- Girgensons: 2 SHG (T-6th)
- Kane: 3 SHG (T-2nd), 215 S (T-5th), 3 SHP (T-6th)
- O’Reilly: 885 FOW (1st), 61.0% FO% (1st), 1,452 FO (1st), 4 SHP (T-2nd), 11 PPG (4th)
- Pouliot: 2 SHG (T-6th)
- Ristolainen: 26:30 TOI/GP (3rd)
SABRES REAL-TIME STATS LEADERS
Hits: Ristolainen (143), McCabe (114), Kane (110)
Blocked Shots: Scandella (86), McCabe (79), Ristolainen (77)
Shots: Kane (215), Eichel (201), O’Reilly (157)
SABRES’ RECORD IN 10 GAME SEGMENTS [W-L-OTL (PTS), GF/GA, PP, PK]
1-10: 3-5-2 (8), 26/36, 5/36, 29/35
11-20: 2-6-2 (6), 20/35, 5/28, 23/27
21-30: 2-6-2 (6), 18/31, 2/32, 24/32
31-40: 3-4-3 (9), 24/33, 3/25, 23/28
41-50: 4-6-0 (8), 27/31, 10/33, 15/26
51-60: 3-5-1 (7), 26/29, 6/21, 31/37
OVERTIME RESULTS (3-10; 111-121 all-time)
Oct. 17 at VGK: L, 5-4 (GWG-Perron)
Oct. 21 at BOS: W, 5-4 (GWG-O’Reilly)
Nov. 11 at MTL: L, 2-1 (GWG-Pacioretty)
Nov. 14 at PIT: L, 5-4 (GWG-Sheary)
Dec. 8 at CHI: L, 3-2 (GWG-Forsling)
Dec. 10 at STL: L, 3-2 (GWG-Tarasenko)
Dec. 15 vs. CAR: L, 5-4 (GWG-Slavin)
Dec. 27 at NYI: L, 3-2 (GWG-Barzal)
Dec. 29 at NJD: W, 4-3 (GWG-Ristolainen)
Jan. 1 vs. NYR: L, 3-2 (GWG-Miller)
Jan. 22 at CGY: W, 2-1 (GWG-Eichel)
Feb. 6 vs. ANA: L, 4-3 (GWG-Henrique)
Feb. 15 at OTT: L, 3-2 (GWG-Hoffman)
SHOOTOUT RESULTS (0-1; 69-65 all-time)
Oct. 5 vs. MTL: L, 3-2 (GDG-Drouin)
MILESTONES APPROACHING (Player … Needs … Milestone)
Zemgus Girgensons … 3 points … 100 career points